You Can Quote Me On That

I have loved quotes forever. It one of my bedrooms growing up, I had little scraps of paper Scotch-taped to the window sills, walls and doors, covering any available surface. They were filled with my childish cursive, featuring quotes from books and song lyrics. I think I felt validated when I read something I felt that someone else had written. It was as if I was finding pieces of myself out in the world. Most of the books I own have underlined passages and dog-eared pages. Thank goodness Amazon knew my style of reading and made highlighting passages in books a feature on the Kindle. They know me so well. 


So here are some of the quotes that have stuck with me over the years.  The first few are from my all time favorite book, Love In The Time of Cholera (which will have it's very own blog post soon).



“With her Florentino Ariza learned what he had already experienced many times without realizing it: that one can be in love with several people at the same time, feel the same sorrow with each, and not betray any of them. Alone in the midst of the crowd on the pier, he said to himself in a flash of anger: 'My heart has more rooms than a whorehouse.” 
― Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera



“It was the year they fell into devastating love. Neither one could do anything except think about the other, dream about the other, and wait for letters with the same impatience they felt when they answered them.” 
― Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera



“...The girl raised her eyes to see who was passing by the window, and that casual glance was the beginning of a cataclysm of love that still had not ended half a century later.” 
― Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera



"You is kind, you is smart, you is important"
-The Help


“The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I'd hoped to give you forever” 
― Nicholas Sparks



“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.” 
― Suzanne CollinsMockingjay

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 
― Harper LeeTo Kill a Mockingbird

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 
― F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Great Gatsby

“Finding someone you love and who loves you back is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. But finding a true soul mate is an even better feeling. A soul mate is someone who understands you like no other, loves you like no other, will be there for you forever, no matter what. They say that nothing lasts forever, but I am a firm believer in the fact that for some, love lives on even after we're gone.” 
― Cecelia AhernP.S. I Love You

“You should never hate anyone, even your worst enemies. Everyone has something good about them. You have to find the redeeming quality and love the person for that.” 
― Jeannette WallsThe Glass Castle

“Accept what people offer. Drink their milkshakes. Take their love.” 
― Wally LambShe's Come Undone

“...tell them that we have some good in us, too. And the only thing worth living for is the good. That’s why we’ve got to make sure we pass it on.” 
― Billie LettsWhere the Heart Is

“It always takes two. For relationships to work, for them to break apart, for them to be fixed.” 
― Emily GiffinHeart of the Matter

“I think of how each person in a marriage owes it to the other to find individual happiness, even in a shared life. That this is the only way to grow together, instead of apart.” 
― Emily GiffinHeart of the Matter
“I believe in love. I believe in hard times and love winning. I believe marriage is hard. I believe people make mistakes. I believe people can want two things at once. I believe people are selfish and generous at the same time. I believe very few people want to hurt others. I believe that you can be surprised by life. I believe in happy endings.” 
― Isabel GilliesHappens Every Day: An All-Too-True Story