Tiny Beautiful Book


:

Opened a new book today:

I knew I would love it when I read the intro. And since intros are just, well, intros, I figured it was off to a pretty good start. 

"Tiny Beautiful Things will endure as a piece of literary art, as will Cheryl's other book, because they do the essential work of literary art: they make us more human that we were before. We need books and Cheryl's book are particular, because we are all, in the private kingdom of our hearts, desperate for the company of a wise true friend. Someone who isn't embarrassed by our emotions, or her own, who recognizes that life is short and that all we have to offer, in the end, is love.:

Word. 

Upon further research (I love that saying) I find out the author of this book was once an anonymous online advice columnist. This book is a compilation of letters coupled with her responses. The whole book is like a warm cup of tea and a punch in the gut at the same time. She is so ballsy and in yo face. And I love it! Here are some of my dog ears: 

Forgiveness doesn't sit there like a pretty boy in a bar. Forgiveness is the old fat guy you have to haul up a hill. 

(To a mother who wrote because she's concerned about her temper towards her small children) I've also behaved in ways towards my children that I regret. Find a mother who hasn't. I have every belief that you'll learn how to let your anger be only what it is and nothing more- a storm that passes harmlessly through you and peters out into the softest rain before it fades into sun."

"We are obligated to the people we care about and who care about us, to tell them we love them as soon as we feel it. Tackle the mother-f***ing shit out of LOVE."

Now you see why I love her so? Luckily Cheryl didn't stop at this book. She's also the author of WILD: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. Which I just happen to be listening to on audio book. I've already  written a smidget about it. 

Those passages are just a few of the ones that spoke to me but she doesn't just talk about love and marriage (go to together like a horse and carriage...) She also gives advice on financial woes and whether or not to have a threesome. (intrigued now, aren't cha?!)