If you liked Gone Girl

Dark Places: A Novel

If you are one of the million people out there loving Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, check out one of her two previous novels, Dark Places. 


I read it first and then saw that Gone Girl was coming out and immediately pre-ordered in on my Kindle. (a.k.a. my life, my baby)

It's dark and twisted and trippy as heck. Here's an excerpt from Amazon's description:

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived–and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her. 

The basis of the story is a topic I've never really read about. I am typically not a thriller reader but I really enjoyed this. 

There are some creepy ass parts and I felt scared after reading. I never get scared from movies/books. I am not the kind of person who needs to leave the light on after watching Paranormal Activity. 

But after reading this book, I found myself still thinking about it days after reading it. 

The main character is very unique. She is most definitely screwed up in the head. (And rightfully so. She survived her family's massacre at 7 years old) but she is also fully aware of her faults. 

I love that quality in people. 

There are many elements to the book, from Libby telling you about her life as an adult (still getting money from sympathizers about the crime 19 years ago) and how she can't really function as an adult. Then you learn about her life when the murders happen. 

Then you meet her brother. Wowza, he's got problems. 
The books sucks you in with the back story of the characters and the murders and leaves you on the edge of your seat trying to figure out if Ben really did kill his family or not. And when you eventually find out, you will probably be up all night long. 


And I don't want to ruin the story!


It's a thriller and there are some parts that will literally leave you shakin.'

*Don't read if you don't like a little blood and guts. It is a murder mystery after all, ya'll. 

ALSO, in movie news, it's going to be made into a movie and Amy Adams is set to star as Libby! I can totally see her in the role, but looking more Julie & Julia and less Enchanted. (Unfortunately) .
Amy Adams Picture

sig