Let them eat

There was a Facebook argument that broke out among the locals in my hometown about school lunches. And since I refuse to get caught up with them on Facebook about stuff like that, I thought I would share my thoughts with you. 

Someone complained that her kids were hungry and that maybe the school should arrange a snack program since the gov'ment has regulations on what kids can eat for lunch nowadays. That's about all she said and she quickly got over 50 comments. Half of them were parents echoing her concerns that the kids are starving, especially the ones in sports and how it didn't make sense that high schoolers had the same portions on their trays as the third graders.

I thought that was a pretty legitimate point.

Then of course there were comments from the passively aggressive parents who acted as if the lady had attacked the school board itself, which I don't think she did, I am assuming she knew that it was beyond their control and its state mandated.

Anyway, I have been thinking and thinking about this food thing and how the plan for more fruits and veggies and less carbs and all is somehow going to magically change our national obesity rates. Those kids that don't know what an apricot is? They are not going to magically like fruits just because they see them everyday on their trays. It takes more than that, including education and dedication from parents and families to introduce their kids to fruits and veggies. I just don't think cutting their food and making them eat like birds at school is going to make it better.

Those kids are just going to go home and fill up on zebra cakes and cosmic brownies anyway. (YUM)

Plus don't get me started on the fact that my pre-schooler is down right starved when he gets home every night because they feed these kids at like 10:30 a.m.

What's the answer to cutting our obesity troubles? Not starving our kids at school so they gorge when they get home. Not to mention, alot of times, those school lunches are the only decent meals some of these kids are getting all week because their parents don't have to money/means to feed them at night.

Today, this video went viral, which means I feel better because I am not the only one hung up on this food thing.

As my four year old so eloquently stated at Easter Dinner earlier this year,
"Eat your damn pie!"