I love you even though you poop your pants

I had a funny moment this weekend and I wanted to share it with you. 
It had the potential to be a very bad moment, but as always, I handled it with grace and patience, so it was no big deal. HA. Sha right.

So, While at my bake a thon, everything was going totally smooth. The goodies were cooling on the stovetop and my friend and I had just twisted open some Angry Orchard and were chatting. Then R1 came into the kitchen with a worried expression on his face and lacing his fingers together the way he does when he is nervous or in trouble. 

"Mom" he whispers to me, "I accidentally just pooped my pants."
So matter of fact, so polite.

R1 is almost 5 and has been potty trained since he was 27 months old. 

Strangely, I felt this calm come over me, like "okay, I can handle this." I immediately remembered overhearing a mother in a bathroom yelling at her son for doing the same thing. This was years ago, when I was still a kid myself and I remember feeling so bad for that kid because she was being so mean to him. I wasn't going to do that. And trust me, yelling at my kids is a battle I lose all the time. But this time, I was chill.

After assessing the damage in the bathroom, R1 and I determined we needed to go home. I felt like giggling almost, because sometimes tragic events that are actually not that big of a deal in the long run are just funny.

Shit happens. 

When the little boys he was playing with asked him to come back outside, I came to his rescue and said "Boys, we have to leave, it's a school night and we have to get baths started, thanks so much for playing with Ryder!"

I quickly gathered up our stuff and out the door we went. I noticed in the car that R1 did every thing in his power to not sit on his bum. My heart lurched in my chest for him, not that I have memories of having poo in my pants, but I knew the emotional toll embarrassment can have on you.

In the car R1 asked me not to tell his dad. After a brief back and forth inner monologue, I decided that this was one of the times it was okay to lie to my child and I told him I wouldn't say anything to Big R.

But there was no way Big R and I weren't going to get a giggle out of this. I mean, he pooped his pants. Come on. It's a little funny. 

I told Big R the story after R1 had gone to bed that night. We had a giggle about the finger lacing habit and the conversation R1 must have had in his little brain with himself when he realized it was too late.

As I was tucking R1 into bed that night, I put my head on his chest like I always do when I tuck in him and tell him I love him while he plays with my hair. 

He said "I love you, mom. Even though you yell alot."

And I said, "I love you, too. Even though you poop your pants."

And then we giggled together, even steven.