Literary Junkies

By the Porchlight


Today I am linking up with my fellow bookworms Lesley and Taylor
Lesley's By the Porchlight was one of the very first blogs I found when I first began looking through Blogger. She posted about her book club and I said to myself "hey I have one of those!" and that's really the reason I started my blog. When I saw her post, my mind began reeling over how I could write about my book club, and then about other books that I was reading, and then poof, "That's What She Read" was born. So if you enjoy this blog, go over to By The Porchlight and say thanks :). Taylor is great too, I met her through Lesley and it was pretty much like meeting my book twin. So you can imagine my excitement when these two wonderful ladies decided to do a monthly book junkies link up! Needless to say I was all over it!
So here's the first official link up post for Literary Junkies!  It's a great way to find other bookworms and ways to talk about what you're reading!

1) What book are you currently reading? Give us a little synopsis and your review.
Right now I am reading  The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson


The Healer's Apprentice
It's the story of a  girl in the 1300s. Here's a quick summary from Goodreads:
When Lord Hamlin, the future duke, is injured, it is Rose who must tend to him. As she works to heal his wound, she begins to understand emotions she's never felt before and wonders if he feels the same. But falling in love is forbidden, as Lord Hamlin is betrothed to a mysterious young woman in hiding. As Rose's life spins toward confusion, she must take the first steps on a journey to discover her own destiny.

I am loving it so far. I read over half the book on Sunday. (We had lots of time in the car). I am fascinated with stories about this era. The caste system, the hierarchy of families and even the way they dressed is interesting to me. 
I am also listening to "The Night Circus" by Erin Morganstern for the Literary Junkies Book Club!


2) What are your 3 favourite books of all time?

Gosh where do I start?  I am just going to list them because if I start rambling about why I love them so much, this will be the longest post ever.
( Check out my GoodReads "All Time Favorites Shelf!")

  1. P.S. I Love You
  2. Love In The Time Of Cholera 
  3. Gone Girl

3. What is your "approach" upon entering a bookstore? Where do you immediately head after entering through the front door?

I immediately head to my library's "New & Noteworth" shelf. They keep all the new releases and contemporary novels there. Next to that is the new non-fiction reads, which are my other favorite. I usually have a list in mind but sometimes I just like to stand in front of that shelf and "judge books by their cover" and pick up what I like. I also read the inside cover. I am kind of picky and there are some issues/problems that will make me put the book back down (mean dads, sick children) immediately.  But other than that, I am open to reading about anything. Settings/places that I am not familiar with always intrigue me! I am also drawn to period pieces, especially the 19th century and the late 1800s! Given time and no other responsibilities, I could spend an entire day in a bookstore (one with a coffee shop preferably :)


What are you reading?