A Couple O Recipes

Last week, or what I like to call "Sick Week, 2013"
I whipped up a totally made up recipe that actually worked out so I wanted to share! 

About the only thing that sounds good to most sick people is soup

Jen's Made Up Hamburger Vegetable Soup: 

1 lb hamburger
1 pkg dry ranch mix
1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can stewed tomatoes
I also added another can of corn (drained)
plus left over corn and peas that were in the fridge
2 cans of beef broth
1 tspn. beef boullion
Worschestire sauce 
Minced garlic
Onion

I sauteed the onion, then browned the hamburger and added the dry ranch mix to the hamburger.

Then I added the hamburger and the rest of the ingredients in a crock pot and put it on high for 4 hours.

Easy Peas-y, right?!
I keep it pretty simple in these parts.
Served with Garlic bread, it was the perfect meal.

The other recipe was a HUGE hit on Saturday night
when I had some of my work gal pals over for a game night. 

I originally wanted to make a recipe called
"Better than Sex Chex Mix" 
but the grocery store didn't have a couple of the ingredients so I just had to wing it

Here's the result, and I kept the name for the most part, because it was pretty clever and I love things that rhyme. 

Jen's Better than Sex Chex: 

Part One:
6 cups of Chex cereal
3/4 cups of brown sugar
6 tbs butter
3 tbs corn syrup

Part Two:
1/2 caramel candies
1tbs heavy cream 
(I didn't have any so I used skim milk. It was really sticky but still tasted really good)

Part Three:
Some mini marshmallows
1/2 or so (more if you're like me) of chocolate chips
I used some milk chocolate and some dark chocolate, melted


Melt the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup together in the microwave
Pour over the chex and mix until its covered
Then microwave again for 1 minute, then stir. 
Do this 2 more times to make sure the mixture evenly covers the chex.

Spread the chex on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.
While the chex cools, melt the chocolate chips
and melt the caramel with cream/milk in separate bowls
Pour the caramel over the chex mix
Use a spoon or fork to speckle the melted chocolate chips over that
Then top it all off with mini marshmallows.

I put the mix in the fridge for about a half an hour before serving. 

It was a hit! We were still talking about it on Monday morning!