Book Round Up



It's time for my first official 
Book Round Up! 

I had this idea to give a weekly run down of the books that everyone's talking about.
And by everyone, I mean the powers that be inside the magazines that I subscribe to: 
People
Parents
Entertainment Weekly
Vogue (because I get it for free for some reason)
And whatever magazine cover catches my eye on the newstand. 

 I scour their Book section first thing and always make a mental note to check out the books that catch my eye but not surprisingly, usually forget the names or throw the magazine away on accident before I can write it down. 

So really, this weekly post is more for me, but  being the sharing, caring person I am, it's for you too! 
 ;) 

I just read a meme on Pinterest that said "If people really winked at eachother as much as they do in text and twitter, we would all be really creepy."

Totally true statement.

So let's get started, shall we? 

In' Vogue, Megan O'Grady suggests several books about love in her article "Dynamic Duos."

The ones that struck my interest were: 

"A wheelchair bound former Master of the Universe meets his match in his new magnetic care taker."
I've already read the sample for this on my KindleFire and I know it's going to be a keeper. 
Louisa is a down on her luck gal with a quick wit who needs a job. She's got a whole family of interesting characters which I am sure will add to the story, but it's the relationship with the paralyzed worldly man she's hired to take care of that intrigues me the most. 


"A young Brooklyn couple seeks marital advice from a self help author...it's an inquiry into twenty first century togetherness."
 The married couple gets sent to an upstate secluded retreat and finds out that self help books never quite do the love they preach any justice. 
People listed it in their "Great Reads" section and EW gave it a B rating and called it a Rom-Com and we all know how much I love a good rom-com! 



This was covered in Vogue and People, who gave it the "People Pick" of the week and 4.5 out of 5 stars. 
It's about the young working class girls struggling for a life in the ballet in 19th century Paris. Two sisters hunger for a place in the corps of the ballet, while facing sexual predation and punishing choices. People says that Paris comes alive in this historic novel, including its sights, sounds and smells.
I'm sold. 


Autobiography of Us


Coming of age in the patrician neighborhood of Pasadena, California during the 1960s, Rebecca Madden and her beautiful, reckless friend Alex dream of lives beyond their mothers' narrow expectations. Their struggle to define themselves against the backdrop of an American cultural revolution unites them early on, until one sweltering evening the summer before their last year of college, when a single act of betrayal changes everything.

Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath

People picked this as a "Great Read: New in Paperback." I've never read about any of the Kennedy's but I think this would be a good place to start.

A former intern describes her affair with John F. Kennedy. 

From Goodreads: In an era when women in the workplace were still considered “girls,” Mimi was literally a girl herself—naïve, innocent, emotionally unprepared for the thrill that came when the President’s charisma and power were turned on her full-force. She was also unprepared for the feelings of isolation that would follow as she fell into the double life of a college student who was also the secret lover of the most powerful man in the world. 

The Good House

This book was the main event in this week's People, who gave it 5 out of 5 stars. 
It's about Hildy Good, a 60 divorced successful real estate agent. When the recovering alcoholic begins drinking again, her two daughters send her to rehab.  Hildy seems like a really funny, interesting character. Because, let's be honest. Sixty year old women are always funniest when they are drunk. Plus Hildy thinks she has the power to read people and knows all of the small Boston suburban's secrets where she lives. 

And for the kids in your life, check out a book Parents Magazine featured in their "goody bag" section. 
Q & A a Day for Kids: A Three-Year Journal

I just ordered and recieved this book last week and I am so excited. It has a question a day to ask your kids. I was a little behind, so I asked R1 a bunch of questions at once. Things like Who is your hero" and What is your favorite toy right now? It also explores other questions that I think could open lots of doors for me to explore great topics with R1, including asking him about a time someone hurt his feelings or a time where he felt scared.  It gives lines to write down answers to the same question once a year for 3 years, so if I keep it up, it will so fun to see how their answers evolve over the years!  When Reese gets a little older, I will definitely ask her some questions too, but right now, I am pretty sure every answer to any question would be "princess!" 


So there you have it! Love, alcoholism, paraplegia, ballet, historic Paris and the 60s. Lots to choose from! 

I'd love to hear about it if you have read these books or plan to read them!

Happy Sunday!