Literary Junkies Link Up!



Pink Heels Pink Truck

I love the third Tuesday of every month! It's when I get to answer fun questions about books and read other book worms' answers! 


1. What are you reading right now? Tell us about it.


For the first time in months, I am actually in between books! Gasp, I know. But as soon as my Kindle Fire is charged up and ready to go, I will be starting a new book to review for NovelEscapes.com. This weekend, I finished Chanel Bonfire by Wendy Lawless.



Chanel Bonfire


This book is seriously good. It's a memoir about Wendy's life growing up with a mother who is less than Stepford perfect. You wouldn't believe the places Lawless lived and the situations her mother put her and her sister through.  I can't wait to actually have time to sit down and write a review! And you know what is even cooler? I tweeted about how much I loved the book and this happened:


Can you imagine the smile on my face when I got these tweets? I couldn't stop grinning like a dork. To me, authors are like meeting the biggest celebs. I want to BE them. I would rather sit down to coffee with an author of a good book than meet and greet and A lister on E! right now. (Exceptions: Ryan, Jude, Bradley, etc.) 

I would end the coffee date as soon as I started getting weird though, don't worry. Because I guarantee you at some point I would turn Fatal Attraction-ish and say things like "Can I follow you around? Will you take me to work with you? What kind of shampoo do you use?" 


 2. Give us the recipe for a great book.

Equal parts great characters, interesting settings and unique plot lines, mix together those ingredients with unforeseen twists and a couple surprises and bam! You've got my kind of book. My appetite is easy to satisfy!

 3. Tell us things you've learned from a book recently. Did you learn anything about history? Did you take away a deep & profound realization about the world around you? Or maybe even a beauty tip? This question has me stumped. I don't think I have learned anything lately. Which worries me, because I want to learn things when I read!



 4. What was your favorite book as a child? In fourth grade, I vividly remember the first book that really stuck in my mind. I thought about it all the time and I reread it alot.

Mick Harte Was Here

It's  told by a young girl whose little brother is killed when he was hit by a car. I know, I know, heavy stuff, but it was written for young people and the emotion and innocence was so beautifully written, I still remember the words vividly, 17 years after reading it for the first time.




I also remember


It's the story of a family on an island who find a baby left on their front porch. This book hold some of the most memorable, life like characters I have ever read about. The copy of the book I had eventually fell apart because I read it so much.


I remember loving this poem from this book:



I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts in the hard ground.
So it is, and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of mind:
Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely. Crowned
With lilies and with laurel they go; but I am not resigned.

Lovers and thinkers, into the earth with you.

Be one with the dull, the indiscriminate dust.
A fragment of what you felt, of what you knew,
A formula, a phrase remains,—but the best is lost.

The answers quick and keen, the honest look, the laughter, the

love,—
They are gone. They are gone to feed the roses. Elegant and curled
Is the blossom. Fragrant is the blossom. I know. But I do not
approve.
More precious was the light in your eyes than all the roses in the
world.

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave

Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned. -Edna St. Vincent Millay