Book Round Up!


Here's what I've been reading lately! 



The Coupling by Meg Wolitzer. 
I read about this book in several reviews, including People and Entertainment Weekly. 
The premise is really interesting: What happens in a sleepy town when a spell overcomes the women that makes them immune to their sexuality? Suddenly, happily married woman and women who are proud of their non-monogamous statuses have no interest in sex. 
It seemed like an interesting concept but the story telling just fell completely flat for me. I was shock to find that it was completely boring. There's apparently a literal "spell" that befalls the women but the spell itself isn't explained with enough detail to make you believe it's anything legitimate. 
I didn't finish it, so I'm not going to write a review. If you've read it and enjoyed it, please let me know! 



I didn't intend for this Book Round Up to be Debbie Downer-ish but here's another book I started last month and didn't finish. Maybe the problem is me, not the books? I just couldn't connect with these characters. It's many stories woven into one but they are all centered around one pivotal moment: When a woman finds out she is pregnant with her lover's child. He's an older, married man with his own children and she finds herself at a very sad and lonely crossroads. The baby is adopted by a couple who find out how holes in their lives aren't the fillable type that could be patched by the love of a child. 
I just found this book totally boring. I know that sounds rough, and for my fellow book reviewer at Novel Escapes,http://www.novelescapes.com/2013/03/the-comfort-of-lies-by-randy-susan.html it was perfect (she gave it 5 stars!) because she enjoyed the full character development in lieu of page turning action. However,  I must have been in the mood for more because I was b.o.r.e.d. So if you are like Lyida, check it out because she is right, it does handle some pretty momentous emotions! 

Currently, I am halfway through: 


I am SO intrigued! Linsey, a beautiful, smart 17 year old girl has disappeared on the eve of her departure to Cornell University for college. The story is told by the people in her neighborhood: a precocious genius young boy, a troubled pianist who dresses in his deceased mother's dresses and Reeva, the matriarch of her Desperate Housewife-esque clique, who Linsey spotted through a window having an affair with a 19 year old barista. It may seem like there's too many characters in this tightly woven story but the way the author ends the chapters has me riveted to each page. There's cliff hangers and mysterious facts around every corner and  some people turn out to be very suspicious even though you want to love them. There's someone in the neighborhood who must know more about why  Linsey is gone and where she went! I'm not through yet but I have a feeling this is going to be one I recommend! 

Here are some books that have caught my attention on the web or in magazines lately: 



From GoodReads: A sharp-edged satire of contemporary motherhood from a comic novelist on the rise.    In the hip haven of Portland, Oregon, a pack of unsteady but loyal friends asks what it means to bring babies into an already crowded world.      Sarah studies animal behavior at the zoo. She’s well versed in the mating habits of captive animals, and at the same time she’s desperate to mate, to create sweet little offspring of her own. Georgie is busy with a newborn, while her husband, Humble, finds solace in bourbon and televised violence. Dulcet makes a living stripping down in high school gyms to sell the beauty of sex-ed. Nyla is out to save the world while having trouble saving her own teen daughter, who has discovered the world of drugs and the occult. As these friends and others navigate a space between freedom and intimacy, they realize the families they forge through shared experience are as important as those inherited through birth.      A smart, edgy and poignantly funny exploration of the complexities of what parenthood means today, Monica Drake's second novel demonstrates that when it comes to babies, we can learn a lot by considering our place in the animal kingdom



Maybe it's because she's from Nebraska, but it's almost because she's an amazing storyteller, but I love Rainbow Rowell. I vividly remember details about the incredibly cute book, Attachments, which I read well over 2 years ago. She just creates the most relatable, comfy characters. And there is rarely a book about first loves that I won't pick up. Those kind of stories always bring me back and remind me of my adorable first love, my high school boyfriend, Andy. Even my mom still sighs in longing whenever we talk about him. Can you say C.U.T.E.? 

Anyway...where was I? oh, yeah. Books.  Eleanor & Park 

From GoodReads: 
"Bono met his wife in high school," Park says.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused, then dead."
''I love you," Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be."

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

And one more: 

From Goodreads: t a town fair on the coast of Oregon, handsome Native American carny, Vincent Youngblood, bestows an unforgettable kiss on shy, awkward teenager, Charlotte Davenport. Then disappears without another word, leaving her baffled and enamored. Ten years later, Charlotte is still living in the small fishing town of Astoria, while being trained to--reluctantly--take over for her philandering hotelier father when he retires. After all, who else will do it? Her two perfect sisters are busy being married to their flawless husbands and having cookie cutter children, while Charlotte remains single, childless, and every bit as mousy as she was a decade ago. As Charlotte struggles to climb out from underneath her judgmental parents thumb, the carnival rolls back into town, and Charlotte finds herself face to face with Vin again. He's back to run his father's carnival, walking away from a promising career in medicine he started in Chicago. Will her biased and judgmental family accept her relationship with a man who is not only a Native American, but works as a carny for a living? And what unsavory secrets bind the well-educated and seemingly superlative Vin to that ramshackle carnival? After all, you can t judge a carny by its cover.

What do you think, do any of these sound interesting to you? 
Have you read any of them? I would love to hear what you think! 
Don't forget to tell me what you are reading now!