Blogger Book Club: Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

I have been so excited for this post for weeks!
Welcome to the first edition of The Blogger Book Club! Brought to you by Kay, MirandaAmyMelissa, Stacie and Me!

The Best of Intentions


If you haven't figured out yet that my obsession and love for books is pretty huge, then I really don't know how else to make it obvious. 



I am so excited to talk up a storm about this book: 




This line right here sealed the deal that this book is one of the best I have read in quite a while.




Louisa Clark is a down on her luck girl living with her parents, her sister, nephew and her grandfather. Together, they navigate poverty in a cramped house where Louisa sleeps in a tiny space, aptly named "the box room." 

When the cafe where Louisa works closes, she's forced to go to a placement agency for a job, which leads to not so glamorous stints in fast food joints and a chicken factory. When the agency says there's an opening for a caretaker, Louisa isn't in a place to turn down the job and as it turns out, it's a job that would change her life forever. 

When she meets the man she is hired to care for, she's immediately intimidated by his cold demeanor and the overbearing attitude of his mother, Camilla. Will Traynor is a paraplegic. Once a very successful corporate mogul, he is now confined to a wheelchair with minimal use of his hands and upper body. Louisa tackles the job of caretaker: cleaning his house, feeding him and keeping him company, all jobs which Will makes difficult with his poor outlook on life and over all grouchy exterior, not that I could blame him. 

What I loved most about this book is it's unorthodox story line and the fact that it made me ask the same question over and over again: "What would I do in Louisa's shoes?" 

A shocking thing happened while reading Me Before You. For me, usually I have a one track mind in books and tend to only focus on the main character and their struggles, emotions, etc. but Me Before You did something that most books can't. Without letting them tell their own sides in their point of view, Will, Louisa's sister Treena and Will's mother all were able to make their sides of the story evident. I was just as interested in and empathetic to the outlying characters as the main one, which I think is a great sign of awesome character development. 

So what happens when Louisa overhears Will's mother and sister talking one day and learns that there is much, much more to the story of why Louisa was hired and what her role in Will's life is supposed to be? The secret changes Louisa instantly, I thought. It's like a candle was lit inside her mind and her heart and suddenly she was looking at her life and Will's too, in a whole new way. It was so amazing to see Louisa literally wake up to life. You won't recognize her as the same girl at the beginning of the book to the women you meet at its ending. What she decides to do for Will is a gift so sweet and monumental, it will make you want to spend the rest of your day, month, year, doing good deeds for others.

Will, his family and Louisa are forced to answer questions no mother, sister, lover or friend should ever have to and what happens at the end of the book is a "sit in your chest, let out a deep sigh" feeling that stayed with me long after I closed the book.   

There's so much more to the book that I am not touching on, including family ties, evolving love stories and hardships that all add so much to the story but this is supposed to just be a review so I have to cut myself off! Just do yourself a favor and read this book! 


One more thing before I leave you for the weekend: Have you ever wanted to write a short story? 
Don't be afraid, you know you want to! I think there are tons of creative bloggers out there and I want to see what happens when we can let our imaginations go wild! That's why I am hosting a short story link up next week called 




I could not be more excited to see what everyone has going on in their imaginations! Come back soon for more details PLUS I'll be sharing short stories from some of my FAVORITE bloggers for inspiration and giving you prompts to jump start your creativity!