A Battle of the Years: 2013 vs. 2014

There have been a lot of lists going around for the New Year. Resolutions, Recaps, etc. I thought I'd sit down and compare my 2013 to what I want my 2014 to look like. It's time for the ultimate show down: 



My Kids in 2013: In spite of a couple huge life changes and adjustments, my kids grew and flourished in 2013. R2 developed a diva attitude that's sometimes cute and sometimes NOT. But I'd rather her be spicy than just a lump on a log. R1 became a smarty pants. He does math, he reads, he corrects me ALOT. (The latter I could do without sometimes but I still find it endearing.) He lost some teeth and proved that there are no Legos that shall be left unturned. They sing Roar, they draw me pictures and giggle like crazy when I make funny faces. 


This year they taught me the importance of patience and the value of their unconditional love. I had a bad day? That's okay, R2 just wants to sit on my lap. I yelled at R1 while trying to rush out the door to school? That's okay, mom, he just wants to draw me a picture really quick. They have taught me
over  and over again what it's like to just keep on loving. I love waking up every morning with the clean slate they give me. 

In 2014, I can only hope the Rs and I get to know each other even more. I can't wait to see them learn more. R2 will go to the preschool, R1 will continue to shine in Kindergarten and move on to 1st grade, I want to take them on a vacation, I want to start marking their heights on growth charts, I want to take more pictures of them and I want to make them laugh every day. Most importantly, my  goal for 2014 is to not take them for granted and to appreciate the memories as they are happening. I want to tap myself on the shoulder while we are having a great time, cuddling on the couch or going on vacation and whisper to remind myself: "Live in this moment and know right now how amazing it is right now." 


Our home life: This took a huge blow in 2013 but I seriously think 2014 will be kinder. I want out of this apartment and into something more substantial. Let the saving begin! I love our space but I think the Rs are ready to have their own rooms again. It's funny how they fight during the day but as soon as they are in bed, they suddenly become best friends and want to play and talk all night. I love our living room and I love the coziness but we are in serious need of more space. Who knows, this time next year, I may be showing off pictures of a new home! (Fingers crossed). 



My career: If you would have told me in January 2013 that I would end the year with a new job, I would have given you the stink eye. There was no way I would have believed that I would be blessed with the opportunity that I have with my new job. I love it so much. Writing, meeting new people, stretching the creative side of my brain, it's all like someone started showing me things in technicolor, Wizard of Oz style and I love it. I hope 2014 means learning more about doing what  I love to do and how to rock it. 

My friendships: 2013 was the year for making new friends for me and I can't say I hate it. I think I have more pictures of me smiling with friends in 2013 than I have from the past 3 years. Isn't it craziest that when it comes to friendships, quality totally trumps quantity? I hope 2014 brings as many smiles, good times, jokes and smiling faces as 2013 and then some. 








See what I mean? Smiles for days. And I love it. 

Me: The 2014 version of me is going to look quite different, I predict. Mostly because I'm getting to know myself on a whole new level. My biggest goal for 2014 is to write more. I did more in 2013 and I loved cracking the surface. Where will I find the time? I have NO idea. But I promise right now I am going to try. I need more time to read and write in 2014. Maybe if I gave up watching crap TV, I'd find the time, but I've been faithfully addicted to worthless reality tv for 20 years, so why stop now? 

But most importantly, 2014 is going to mean pulling up my boot straps and taking control of the life I want to live. More time to read and write. More time spent living in the moment. Less time yelling at the kids (because it really can't matter THAT much). Less cursing, more sweeping, more organizing, less lost bills, more time cuddled with the Rs. More time traveling, less time worrying. More time appreciating the things and people that make me happy and less time giving room for the people who don't. 



So I am just going to go ahead and say 
2014 FOR THE WIN.
That's pretty epic. I am so confident of the exciting and fun things that could happen in 2014 that I am going to say it beats 2013 before it's even begun. That. just. happened. 





Take time to make this last week of 2013 as special as possible!