That's What She Gave: A Book Lover's Gift Guide

You know what I love? Christmas. And books. (and wine on ice, braless Sundays and not leaving my house but let's stay focused here). 

So you can just about imagine how much I love combining Christmas with my love for books by giving them as gifts! It's my mission in life to make as many people as I can a bookworm just like me. I totally converted my friend with the 50 Shades trilogy and she thanks me on the daily. (And so does her hubby).

So to help you win best gift giver ever this year, I've brought you a handy dandy gift guide! 



First up: 



Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots by 

Last year, I ran into a bit of a problem with R2 genuinely believing that she was a princess. And by problem, I mean the girl wouldn't let me do anything to her hair besides braid it because that's the way Rapunzel wore her hair in Tangled. I also struggled to get her to wear shoes and not call every man she saw "Flynn Wyder." Her excuse for everything she didn't want to do was  "pwincesses don't do that." Luckily my mom found this book for R2 and miraculously, she has learned that pwincesses actually do other things besides flounce around forests with men they barely know. Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots teaches girls about manners, responsibility and how to have fun despite your non-royal status. It's whimsy, it's got a great message and the illustrations are fun! 

Next: The Lego Ideas Book 


Legos are officially taking over our apartment. I even gave up one of my crafting organizers for the sake of keeping those devilish little rocks off my floors.  The question is, what do you do with all those leftover pieces after the Star War Battle Gallactic Whatever has been put together? Here's an idea! Give kids some inspiration! Kids have enough imagination to create their own little world and now they can with a book like this to inspire them! 

Speaking of imagination, here's another amazing book that your bookworms in training would LOVE to have on their shelves: 

Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne:


I know I've talked about these books before but I couldn't leave them off this list. Even R2 is hooked now when we read before bedtime! They have alot of reoccurring lines of the book (the same things happen each time Jack and Annie's characters travel in their tree house) and both Rs read along when they know what's coming! There are TONS of the books and I just know there will be movies someday so I am excited to keep reading more with the kiddos. Books #9-12 will be under the tree this year! 

And you can't forget: 


Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living by Nick Offerman


Growing a perfect mustache,  grilling red meat, wooing a woman—who better to deliver this tutelage than the always charming, always manly Nick Offerman, best known as Parks and Recreation’s Ron Swanson? Need I say more? 

History Decoded: The 10 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time by Brad Meltzer


You know what I've found men really like? In no particular order: history, conspiracy theories, and quick stories they can read while using the toilet. I have no idea why, they just do. Whatever they do in there is their business but I can't say I hate to see such dedication, even if it's a little gross. Anyway, with a book like this, the men in your life can enjoy all of these weird hobbies all in one. 


One Summer: 1927 by Bill Bryson: 


One more for the history buffs. This isn't just about one summer. It's about THE summer when tons of major events that helped shaped our nation happened. Even though we know many of these stories--Lindbergh’s flight, Babe Ruth’s 60-homerun season, the Mississippi River flood, Al Capone’s bullet-ridden reign over Chicago- the book is also filled with little nuggets of trivia. (Find out where the term "hot dog" came from). Pick it up not only for the history lovers, but for the patriotic and trivial pursuiters. 

Now for the really fun gifts: 



The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays by Ree Drummond


You know why this one is a good idea? 1) Because Ree Drummond is the best thing to happen to the Food Network since they cancelled Paula Deen's weird party talk/butter-cooking show and 2) Because women LOVE to share food so you'll reap the benefits of your girls having these amazing recipes for girl nights! 

A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout 


I promise I am not just trying to pimp you into reading whatever I am reading. (Yes, I just made pimp into a verb in a otherwise normal sentence. Beat that).  But seriously, I am reading this and  you should too, and then you should probably pass it on to whom ever is on your gift lists this year. They'll thank you, I promise. A House In The Sky is on all the "best of" lists for 2013 and I bet you'll be hearing more about the amazing woman behind this astonishing story of bravery and perseverance. 

Classic Novels with a Twist from Mr. Boddington's Studio & Anthropologie: 


What's better than these amazing literary classics? Not much. But when you give your friends these beautiful, bright and cheery editions that are exclusively available at the wonderland that is Anthropologie, you're basically asking to become everyone's new favorite person. 

And Voila! You're now the best damn elf in your circle of friends and family. Unless someone comes to Grandma's Christmas baring lifetime supplies of Nutella or wine kegs, in which case, you got totally owned. 

Hey there now, before you leave, make sure you put this little nugget of blogginess on your calendar: December 18, Steph at Life According to Steph and I are hosting a link up for everyone to recap their favorite things about 2013. We'd love to see your pretty little names light up the link up so start brainstorming! 


That's What She Read