Blogtober: My Favorite Vacation- A Honeymoon

Helene in Between Blogtober

Helene and Taylor couldn't have picked a better topic for today: Vacations!
It comes at the perfect time because I just so happen to have just returned from the best type of vacation you can have: a honeymoon!

After eloping, CJ and I knew we would want to get away so we picked a spot on the map and started planning. This may seem weird but I didn't want to go to a typical beach destination where there would be party hardies in tiny weeny bikinis. I wanted something more chill and relaxed. We came up with the idea of Fort Lauderdale. No clubbing in Miami, but still beachy Florida.

I have to say, I think we made the perfect choice for what we were looking for. I just wanted a week to relax, unplug and chill on the beach with a good book and a great husband. And that's exactly what we did.





Our first afternoon was spent scoping out the local eateries, the beach and enjoying the beautiful weather. Our hotel was literally a hop, skip and a jump away from a private beach. 
On our second day in Fort Lauderdale, we took the Water Taxi up and down the inner coastal waterway. This included the "Millionaire's Row" where we saw amazing water front homes of business tycoons like the founders of Sunglass Hut, Wendy's (Hey, Dave, Heeyyyy) and Blockbuster. We also spotted former homes of Sonny and Cher, Ricky and Lucille Ball and Burt Reynolds. Being the Hollywood junkie that I am, I loved this part! 



Another perk is that they let you bring your own cooler so we just chilled on the ride with a six pack and took lots of pictures, enjoying the beautiful views and the amazing sea breeze. 

One day, we literally just lay on the beach all day. We read. We fed the crazy seagulls. We found coral and shells to bring back for the kids. It was so peaceful, I can't even tell you. 



At the end of our beach day, our KC Royals were playing in the AL Wild Card game and there was no way we were going to miss it so we started asking locals where we could watch the game and everyone told us about a sports bar called Bokempers. With over 150 flatscreen tvs, there was no way CJ was going to pass on a chance to see his Royals play in HD from a hundred different angles. We had a blast and the Royals won so it was a home  run date night! (See what I did there? I'm so punny).


The day before we left, we decided to take a tour of the Everglades. The Everglades are a natural region of tropical wetlands...which basically means it's the place where all the alligators hang out. We rode an air boat through the wetlands, hoping to spot a gator. We saw a couple babies and then saw HUGE ones in the Everglades Holiday Park rescue park, which is also the home of the Gator Boys, a tv show on Discovery. The gator guy was crazy brave! 



We grabbed an alligator claw on a necklace for R1's souvener, which he hasn't taken off since we gave it to him! 

We also did a lot of this: 




Which is just what you do when you're in sunny Florida on your honeymoon.

If you are in Fort Lauderdale, I have to say the Water Taxi and 15th Street Fisheries restaurant are absolute musts. 15th Street has the most amazing views and you're literally right on the water. We took the water taxi and I loved going by boat to get there. I tried lobster tail for the first time and we both loved the conch salad.  I also really liked Rocco's Tacos & Tequila Bar (they make the most amazing guacamole right at your table) and the Oasis Cafe. 

So that's my recap of my favorite vacation ever. I'll never forget it.
I can still feel the sand between my toes and the warm sun on my nose.