A Good Book and A New Home!


I have never really considered if I believe in psychics but recently I found myself reading two books, both of which featured people with "senses" and I thought, well if I didn't believe it then, I'd certainly believe it could happen now. Books have a way of making you believe in pretty much anything. 

First, I listened to Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld on audiobook. I had tears in my eyes several times through it. Not because it was sad, but because it was so familiar. There were descriptions about childhood that were so real, I felt like someone was reading my memories out loud.  

Sisterland is about two sisters, Violet and Daisy, who, at a young age, realize that their world isn't the same for those not inside their home and young minds. First, their mother is lost to depression, staying in her room throughout the days and taking credit for the meals that her daughters make before their dad gets home from work. Secondly, and most detrimental to their lives, is the fact that the twins share the gift of a sixth sense. They see things happening in their mind that are then played out right before their eyes in real life. They know that their aunt will soon pass away. They know which one of the classmates will die the youngest.

For Violet, her sense is a means for attention. She's the wild child who goes on to use her power to gain public notoriety. But for Daisy, who grows up and changes her name to Kate, creates a new life for herself without the sense. She trains herself to ignore it and has convinced herself that she no longer as the power. She would rather enjoy her quiet life with her husband and 2 children. Until Violet goes on public television to tell the world that a major, life change earth quake is coming. 

Her announcement leaves everyone around them in a panic and Kate must decide if the nagging senses that she feels are just paranoia or if her sense going back to her. 

This isn't YA and Twilight-like. I don't want anyone to write this book off just because there's a little "make believe" in the fact that the characters have a physic ability. It's a very believable story. It's mostly about sisters and their relationship that seems unconditional until things happen that they have no control over. 

The greatest thing about this book is that the characters do unforgivable things. They lie, they test trust, they walk out. But they redeem themselves, which makes me feel hopeful. 

My recommendation is to read it and keep an open mind. 

*************************************

In other news, this life of mine has taken a trip down the crazy lane. 
It's Thanksgiving week, which means there are pecan pies to make, family to visit and elastic pants to find. (as if I don't know exactly where they are already). 
But don't worry, that's what the Pioneer Lady is for, because she has the no-fail pecan pie recipe that is TO.DIE.FOR. 

As if this wasn't a crazy enough week already, CJ and I have decided it would be a good time to MOVE. Like as if, you just up and decide theses kinds of things? Technically we could move after Turkey Week but for some reason, I like crazy. So this weekend, we got high off of paint fumes for three days straight and now we are going to see how many mattresses we can fit inside our Yukon. You know what's NOT fun? Moving. Bring me someone who likes to move and I will bake them a pie (see above). 

So that's what we are up too and really, I'm not complaining.  A new home, new paint schemes, and more room to run and play. I've got plenty to be thankful for!