|
"When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life–until the unthinkable happens."
My review of Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.
This slow and steady escape in to the marshlands of the North Carolina coast in the 1960s is indulgent and memorizing. Owens takes you on two adventures: one is trying to solve the murder of a young man whose body was found at the bottom of a fire tower with no clues on how he died. The other is the life of Kya Clark, a young girl left behind by her family and raising herself completely alone. Her skill, bravery and acute attention to the natural world that surrounds her kept my attention. Her marsh home is the only thing that she trusts and when one young man shows her compassion by visiting her and teaching her how to read, she begins to see a side of life and love that she never knew existed. As she grows up, Kya becomes one with the marsh, staying away from people and choosing a solitary life, which is why there are rumors about her and she is called "The Marsh Girl" by the townspeople, who ridicule her and isolate her instead of trying to help her. When a well known boy is found dead, the town immediately point fingers at Kya. As you read the viewpoints of Kya and then the investigators who are looking into the death of Chase Andrews, you see how perceptions can change the entire trajectory of someone's life. I thought this book was beautifully written, with one of the best settings brought to life that I have read in a long time. It's was a truly beautiful and captivating book. (less) |
You don't like to admit it, but we all know how much everyone loved SparkNotes. Whether you just didn't want to, you couldn't find the time, or the subject matter was so over your head you couldn't cope, there were books in high school English class that you pretended to read, but actually didn't. For me, as a bookworm now, I can't believe there were books I left unturned. Especially if people were telling me to read. Nowadays, I have to beg for time to read. I can't believe I ever passed up the chance to read when people were requiring it of me. The books that I did read and will NEVER forget: To Kill A Mockingbird Romeo & Juliet The Scarlett Letter The Great Gatsby The Lord of the Flies The Odyssey The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Giver My Antonia Books that I Didn't Actually Read: Great Expectations 1984 A Tale of Two Cities The Catcher in the Rye Animal Farm ...

I need to read this.
ReplyDeletewww.rsrue.blogspot.com