Book Round Up: High School English Edition

You don't like to admit it, but we all know how much everyone loved SparkNotes. 
Whether you just didn't want to, you couldn't find the time, or the subject matter was so over your head you couldn't cope, there were books in high school English class that you pretended to read, but actually didn't. 

For me, as a bookworm now, I can't believe there were books I left unturned. Especially if people were telling me to read. Nowadays, I have to beg for time to read. I can't believe I ever passed up the chance to read when people were requiring it of me. 



The books that I did read and will NEVER forget: 
To Kill A Mockingbird
Romeo & Juliet
The Scarlett Letter 
The Great Gatsby 
The Lord of the Flies
The Odyssey 
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 
The Giver 
My Antonia 

Books that I Didn't Actually Read:
Great Expectations 
1984 
A Tale of Two Cities 
The Catcher in the Rye
Animal Farm 
Uncle Tom's Cabin


And then I had the bright idea to add "A book I pretended to read in high school" to my Book Challenge list. And I had to look online to find required reading for high schoolers. I thought surely, I read most of them. Clearly, either my high school English teachers were clueless, or I was. Because I haven't read ALOT of those books. Probably because I was hanging out way too much by the water fountain, showing off my new Sketchers. 






But now I want to. 

The ones I remember skimming SparkNotes for instead of reading I listed above. I'm finding as I get older, I crave these types of books even more. I've now reread The Great Gatsby and The Giver and I want to keep going.

I remember sitting in many English classes, sometimes feeling bored out of my mind. This feeling also coincides with memories of flirting with a boy named John, but I digress. However, there are also times I remember being completely overcome with emotion while reading about Hester's anguish, Huck's tenacity and Jonas' curiosity. These books are required for a reason. And there are so many more that will surely be added as the generations go by. As a self proclaimed bookworm, I feel like it's my duty to actually read these other masterpieces. 

I'm going to start with The Catcher in the Rye. I've always wanted to read Atonement and Wuthering Heights as well. After that, Great Expectations, 1984 and Tale of Two Cities.



Have you read The Catcher in the Rye as an adult? 

What was your favorite book you read in high school English class? 

What are your recommendations?