Skip to main content

How to Be a Bookworm When You Don't Have the Time

A good friend and fellow bookworm asked me the other day "How exactly do you find the time to read?" 

It's actually a fair question, considering I work full time, have a full house and kids in activities who have an insane need for one-on-one time with their mama. 


It's just that ONE thing that gives me my sense of self, the one activity that I not only love, but feel like I need. I wish I loved exercising as much as I love reading. Well, c'est la vie, I guess. Reading it is. I just naturally make it a part of my day because it feels incomplete without a little bit of reading. 


And I just love finishing a good book. It just feels so good. Except book hangovers, those are the worst.

Here's how I'm a bookworm with no time to spare: 




A Hardback- I always have a book on hand. Usually, if the main book I'm reading is an e-book, I still have a light book in hardback or paperback that I can pick up from my nightstand for when I need a break. I usually also read different genres and like to read one non-fiction and one fiction at the same time. I feel like this make it easier to not get the story lines mixed up. 

Audible-  I am always listening to a book. My hour commute to work 3 to 4 times a week really helps my habit. I pay for 1 audio book a month, which means I am like a kid on Christmas on the eleventh of every month when I know it's time for a new book. This also comes in handy for those rare times I actually can talk myself into walking on the dreadmill. 


E-books- E-books make it possible for me to read whenever I have extra time. This happens in 10 minutes bursts throughout the day, whether I am watching Reese at gymnastics or waiting in the school pick up line. I also use e-books to get to sleep at night. I turn off the lights and read for a bit before finally conking out, without having to get up and turn off the lights. 

NetGalley- NetGalley is fun because it helps fuel my fire a little bit. In exchange for reviews, I get free e-books from publishers and authors. Because I know they are waiting to hear what the world thinks of their books, it motivates me to read a little faster just so that I can tell them what I think. 




Recognizing time-I just pay attention to extra time I may have to read. Now, I'll be honest with you. This "time" could also just as easily be spent on laundry, dusting, sweeping or something like that. But, nah. Plus hubs loves to do the dishes. You have to fight for your me time, and for me, that means snatching up that half an hour here and there. Usually, this looks like early in the mornings and late at time before bedtime. 




Goodreads: The absolutely only way I can keep organized. Without Goodreads, I would never remember which books are the next on my list. I have to keep a list of the books that I have promised to read and review as well as all the ones that I have been wanting to read for fun too. It also helps me move on to the next book quickly if I am bored with one. There's never any time to NOT be reading just because I can't find one I love. I am always adding some to my "to-read" list and reading the Books sections of People and Entertainment Weekly. Oh, and whatever BookRiots Podcast, All The Books tells me to read. 

So those are my tricks. I hope maybe you found a useful trick to help you become more of a bookworm! 

Happy Reading! 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great tips! God knows I've been needing to read something like this. I've been in a sort of sluggish reading period where it takes me forever to finish a book, even if I like it! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... question :)
    If you dislike a book, do you finish it anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all some of my favorite places to find books to read (especially All the Books. LOVE IT. Liberty is probably my favorite podcast host). And Steph and I are releasing a podcast episode tomorrow on this EXACT topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got into Audible with my first purchase happening a few weeks ago. I just made a similar post on my blog. Hope to connect. I love your page! :)

    www.quiteanovelidea.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audible is an amazing app, it's how I get through a work day.

    Meme xx


    New Post:
    'Want to Detox, Why Not Try TeaTox*?'
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love audiobooks, too! If you're a member of your local public library, see if they're a member of the Overdrive app. Most public libraries are and the access to free e-books and audiobooks keeps me in good supply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great advice! I commute about an hour each way to work 5 days a week and audio books have been a life saver. I've "read" more books in the last three months than I had in the last two years!

    Stephanie
    Adventures in Aussieland

    ReplyDelete
  9. Priorities - that's what it's all about. We all have free minutes every day, it's how we use them! I happen to use most of my free time for reading! And I fit it in where I can...never go anywhere without a book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! I'm a new mum and finding it so hard to keep up the reading I was used to and the expectations from publishers/readers. Great tips all around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I just published a similar post on my blog and I agree with a lot of your points. It truly boils down to always having a book available be it text, audio or e-book. I haven't heard of netgalley yet, but I'll have to check it out!

    Vivaciousreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post; really find it difficult to keep up with the amount of books I want to read. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware always delivers when it comes to interesting and layered characters. The Turn of the Key is a thrilling account of Rowan Caine's experience as a live-in nanny in a luxurious smart home unlike anything she has ever seen. This mystery is the epitome of the saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" because even though moving into the home of the Elincourts is an upgrade from her tiny apartment and dead-end job, it comes at a steep price. Every chapter, there is something suspicious that kept me wondering if anyone in this suspenseful book was telling the truth. Which, is obvious in the first page because Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, from jail, because she's being held for murder. Who is Rowan? Did she come into the Elincourt's lives for a reason? She should have known something was wrong on the day she interviewed, when one of the children warned her to never come back. With a house full of surveillance cameras and parents who ar

Historical Fiction Recommendations

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer 📚 (@thats_what_she_read) on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:01pm PDT Raise your hand if you’re in the mood for a great  #historicalfiction  ! ⁣ randomhouse   #partner ⁣ } ⁣ The last HF I read was  # Montauk  by Nicola Harrison. It was a nice vacation! ⁣ ⁣ Here are the next two that are on my list: ⁣ TIME AFTER TIME By Lisa Grunwald (out now)⁣ A magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond. ⁣ On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York

Book Review: The Reckless Oath Me Made by Bryn Greenwood

When a young woman is facing an unsteady future, layered on top of a very troubled past, the last thing she has time for is the strange young man who speaks in Middle English and is always following her around. Zee ignores him just fine until her sister goes missing and everything in her life is uncertain and she has no choice but to trust Gentry Frank.  "Zee may not be a princess, but Gentry is an actual knight, complete with sword, armor and a code of honor. Two years ago the voices he hears in his head called him to be Zee's champion. Both shy and autistic, he's barely spoken to her since, but has kept watch, ready to come to her aid."  The layers of this book are peeled away one by one, making it a deeply emotional and transient novel. Zee's character is complicated- she is sharp, deeply scarred but unabashedly brazen and brave. What I loved about her most was how trusted her gut even when she didn't have solid ground to stand on. Her mother is a hoard