Skip to main content

My Favorite Reads of Summer 2016

I can't believe the summer is over. Honestly, I am even a little relieved. I consider myself a die hard Autumn girl. The only thing I really like about the summer is how tired my kids get after a long day at the pool. And all of the coconut scented things, of course.

Maybe if I was the kind of woman who got that sun-kissed, olive  skin look after spending the afternoon poolside, but all I ever get is an arch of freckles above my upper lip that looks like a mustachio. I also don't "glisten" with sweat. I am a puddle. It's just not a cute season for me.

However, I do appreciate the sunshine, gardening and laying in the hammock watching my husband mow the lawn. And spraying the kids with the garden hose. And ice cream.

Our summer was pretty lazy. Lots of trips to the pool, a weekend of camping, and mostly just trying to find ways to spend fun time together. I was really focused on getting a lot of reading this summer so I wanted to share my favorite summer reads. The best books of the summer were hard to pin down so I am going to limit myself to picking just 6 but if you check out all the reads from the entire summer, you will understand how hard it was for me to pick.

My Favorite Summer Reads:



One True Loves - It must have been the summer of love for me because I fell for this love story. Hard. Mushy, sad, and all of the things. Your teenage crush heart will love you for it. 

The Girls - The perfect hot summer read. It's dangerous, it's secretive and a total guilty pressure. 

Sweetbitter - The food and wine descriptions alone had me at "I'll have the Pinot." 

Siracusa - Affairs, Italy, a dead body and once again, really good food. 

Eligible - A modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice...it was everything I hoped it would be. Nice and fluffy but still hit all the good parts. 

The Assistants -  I love meeting characters that make me feel like a slightly better person. Or even better, when you feel good about fighting for the "underdogs" of the world and they end up on top.

I feel like I have to put this out there: There are far, far better books to be had out there this summer. Honestly, I know this is just a tiny little tip of the iceberg of the amazing work that I could have gotten my hands on these past couple of months but there is just never enough time.  

Now, bring on the salted caramel and pumpkin scents, the leggings with over sized sweatshirts, the falling leaves and the dewy mornings of autumn! 

Comments

  1. I was totally going to buy One True Loves and I totally forgot about it! I'll definitely have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Girls and One True Loves are definitely on my tbr. I've heard so much good things about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been kind of effy on Eligible, because I wasn't all that impressed with Prep by Curtis Seinfeld - I take it you would recommend this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to read The Girls forever but I still haven't gotten round to it yet! I'm a bit wary of Austen re-writes after I read Joanna Trollope's version of Sense & Sensibility, but I might have to give Eligible a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Girls, The Assistants, and Eligible all look good! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great list! "The Girls" is the only one I got to this summer (as an audiobook) but I found it a little underwhelming and the prose a little over the top. My favorite parts were the insightful psychological observations of teenage girls. What did you like best?

    ReplyDelete
  7. sweet bitter is definitely an amazing read! If anyone is interested in some more reading try Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie currently my fave. I've also done n article of her on my blog feel free to check it out at imani explores.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just stumbled upon your blog and love it! I've always been embarrassed that I never read Pride and Prejudice, but when I saw Eligible it made me want to read it as soon as possible! My TBR is sky high!

    Nihaad - Read & Seek

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about One True Loves and Eligible. I loved them both! I couldn't put them down. I need more great books like those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Eligible! I plan on reading Siracusa and One True Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really wanted to like The Girls - but the explicit content dealing with a minor was just to my for this girl lol. Ugh I saw The Assistants at the library yesterday, I knew I should've grabbed it! Oh well, added to the TBR : ) great list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished One True Loves, I absolutely loved it!!

    The Bookish Loner

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware always delivers when it comes to interesting and layered characters. The Turn of the Key is a thrilling account of Rowan Caine's experience as a live-in nanny in a luxurious smart home unlike anything she has ever seen. This mystery is the epitome of the saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" because even though moving into the home of the Elincourts is an upgrade from her tiny apartment and dead-end job, it comes at a steep price. Every chapter, there is something suspicious that kept me wondering if anyone in this suspenseful book was telling the truth. Which, is obvious in the first page because Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, from jail, because she's being held for murder. Who is Rowan? Did she come into the Elincourt's lives for a reason? She should have known something was wrong on the day she interviewed, when one of the children warned her to never come back. With a house full of surveillance cameras and parents who ar

Historical Fiction Recommendations

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer 📚 (@thats_what_she_read) on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:01pm PDT Raise your hand if you’re in the mood for a great  #historicalfiction  ! ⁣ randomhouse   #partner ⁣ } ⁣ The last HF I read was  # Montauk  by Nicola Harrison. It was a nice vacation! ⁣ ⁣ Here are the next two that are on my list: ⁣ TIME AFTER TIME By Lisa Grunwald (out now)⁣ A magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond. ⁣ On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York

Book Review: The Reckless Oath Me Made by Bryn Greenwood

When a young woman is facing an unsteady future, layered on top of a very troubled past, the last thing she has time for is the strange young man who speaks in Middle English and is always following her around. Zee ignores him just fine until her sister goes missing and everything in her life is uncertain and she has no choice but to trust Gentry Frank.  "Zee may not be a princess, but Gentry is an actual knight, complete with sword, armor and a code of honor. Two years ago the voices he hears in his head called him to be Zee's champion. Both shy and autistic, he's barely spoken to her since, but has kept watch, ready to come to her aid."  The layers of this book are peeled away one by one, making it a deeply emotional and transient novel. Zee's character is complicated- she is sharp, deeply scarred but unabashedly brazen and brave. What I loved about her most was how trusted her gut even when she didn't have solid ground to stand on. Her mother is a hoard