Skip to main content

Show Us Your Books: August

It's Show Us Your Books time! Every time this post comes around I am always completely shocked that another month has gone by. 

This month was a great time for books and for being a bookworm in general. Some of my girlfriends and I are finally getting serious about starting a bookclub, which has me feeling all of the happy feels. Also, I had the most perfect of bookish day dates with a fellow bookworm last weekend. We drove near and far around Kansas City looking for great bookstores and we hit pay dirt: 



We found the KC Public Library's book sale at the City Market where we snagged current best sellers (in HARD back!) for $2 a pop. I was seriously walking around grinning life a goon.

Then we wandered over to Mission , KS and found Rainy Day Books, which I have been dreaming about visiting for a long time only to find out that it was closed. I shamelessly pressed my nose up against the glass longingly looking at all of the books calling my name. We made up for it by visiting Proposero's Books, which has the most eclectic collection of vintage books I've ever seen. SO much fun. We also fit in some amazing food and coffee along the way, because basically, you can't have a bookworm date without food and coffee. It was the best of days. 

My bookworm day haul: 


There were alot of beautiful books this month and I couldn't help but play around and have some fun for my bookstagrams (@thatiswhatshereadreviews




Because hubs has been begging me to binge Netflix with him and put up the laptop for once, I am keeping this review pretty short, so  forgive me if I'm too vague but here's a mashup up what I read in August: 


The Edge of the Orchard - Listened to this on audiobook and really enjoyed it. I listed this in my July as well because they overlapped. Oops! Still a great story if you feel like some Americal history. 

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo - This is like cotton candy for the soul. I love Amy Schumer's wit and no bullshit cantor. Her stories are sometimes a bit too crass and I can't tell if she's really telling the truth or just telling a story for the shock value but I still enjoyed her stories about her family and rise to fame. She really doesn't take herself seriously and I felt like I was just having a gab sesh with a girlfriend. An easy read to pass the time. 

Siracusa- My favorite read of the month. Two couples, a vacation in Italy, two secret affairs and one dead body. Lots of great scenes. A definite thumbs up from me. 

The Regulars- Pass. 

Happy Family- I listened to this on Audible. It was a little blah for me, A family sage wrought with secrets, illicit pasts and sad marriages. I give it a "meh." 

Alice & Oliver- I bailed on this one. I know, that's terrible, but it was just too sad. 

It Ended Badly- A cute and campy mash up of short stories describing history's most ill-fated romances. I enjoyed it! 

Untethered: This was okay, but too slow to really keep my interest. I thought the storyline was promising: What would you do if the child you loved was only bound to you by your marriage to their biological parent? As as stepmother to Alli, Char doesn't quite know her place. She just knows that she loves her step daughter as if she was her own flesh and blood. But when Allie's dad suddenly passes away, the ties that bind Char and Allie were tested. Like I said, great premise but it didn't follow thru like I had hoped. 


Here's what I'm Currently Reading:




Oh and Reese asked me to share what she read in August too: 



Happy Reading!

And don't forget to read my Autumn Must Reads List! 

Comments

  1. I LOVED AMY SCHUMER'S BOOK! So good, and unexpected.
    And wow at the $2 sale! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Reese is sharing too!

    Siracusa was not on my list but it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous. Current hardcovers at $2 - I would have gone nuts! :) I have a love/hate relationship with Amy. Some of her stuff is so brilliant but other times she really annoys me. Glad you enjoyed her book though! Siracusa sounds interesting, adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, real life book club and bookish day dates?! sounds amazing. i want to live near you!
    untethered sounds SO interesting. what a bummer it didn't follow through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Added Siracusa.

    JEALOUS beyond belief re: your bookstore visits. And hauls. And book dates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lucky you snagged some good books on the cheap. we have a "for sale" section at our library but i can never find anything good there :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read Siracusa. I need to move it up higher on my list. I have had Alice & Oliver on my NetGalley list forever, and I can't bring myself to read it. I just had major surgery recently, and I think it might hit too close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah so fun you're from KC. I live in Lawrence. :) I've been wanting to go into Rainy Day Books forever and ever too. Awesome how many good finds you found! Looking into untethered and At The Edge of the Orchard. I like Chevalier's books. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  9. You picked up some fantastic books on your bookworm outing! Kristen (from see you in a porridge) and I have already been planning book dates for when she visits Sydney in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome book shopping day! I've been waffling about Siracusa, but after your review I'm adding it. I'm also looking forward to reading Today Will Be Different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Library book sales are so much fun! Siracusa was one of my favorite books of the summer, and all three of your current reads are high on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Edge of the Orchard sounds like a good read. I love audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware always delivers when it comes to interesting and layered characters. The Turn of the Key is a thrilling account of Rowan Caine's experience as a live-in nanny in a luxurious smart home unlike anything she has ever seen. This mystery is the epitome of the saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" because even though moving into the home of the Elincourts is an upgrade from her tiny apartment and dead-end job, it comes at a steep price. Every chapter, there is something suspicious that kept me wondering if anyone in this suspenseful book was telling the truth. Which, is obvious in the first page because Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, from jail, because she's being held for murder. Who is Rowan? Did she come into the Elincourt's lives for a reason? She should have known something was wrong on the day she interviewed, when one of the children warned her to never come back. With a house full of surveillance cameras and parents who ar

Historical Fiction Recommendations

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer 📚 (@thats_what_she_read) on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:01pm PDT Raise your hand if you’re in the mood for a great  #historicalfiction  ! ⁣ randomhouse   #partner ⁣ } ⁣ The last HF I read was  # Montauk  by Nicola Harrison. It was a nice vacation! ⁣ ⁣ Here are the next two that are on my list: ⁣ TIME AFTER TIME By Lisa Grunwald (out now)⁣ A magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond. ⁣ On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York

Book Review: The Reckless Oath Me Made by Bryn Greenwood

When a young woman is facing an unsteady future, layered on top of a very troubled past, the last thing she has time for is the strange young man who speaks in Middle English and is always following her around. Zee ignores him just fine until her sister goes missing and everything in her life is uncertain and she has no choice but to trust Gentry Frank.  "Zee may not be a princess, but Gentry is an actual knight, complete with sword, armor and a code of honor. Two years ago the voices he hears in his head called him to be Zee's champion. Both shy and autistic, he's barely spoken to her since, but has kept watch, ready to come to her aid."  The layers of this book are peeled away one by one, making it a deeply emotional and transient novel. Zee's character is complicated- she is sharp, deeply scarred but unabashedly brazen and brave. What I loved about her most was how trusted her gut even when she didn't have solid ground to stand on. Her mother is a hoard